I’ve been spending extra time visiting my parents. I tell Mom I don’t want to put her out, but she’s my mom.
If I’m there, she’s going to feed me!
Zucchini Bacon Casserole?
Do I need to even say more?
Mom whipped up this little Zucchini Bacon Casserole number for dinner when I was out there recently. I loved it, so noted her recipe.
It was great as-is, but you could easily add whatever meat you like–beef, chicken, sausage–and switch it up. It would serve well as either a main course (the way we ate it), or just simply declare it “Zucchini Bacon Casserole Side.”
Your dinner, your call!
- 5 strips bacon
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 dash garlic powder
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook bacon.
- While bacon is cooking, chop up your onion and set aside.
- Once the bacon is crispy, crumble it up and set aside, leaving the grease in the pan.
- Add zucchini, onion, and garlic powder to the pan with bacon grease. Cook until veggies are soft.
- Add tomato sauce and bacon and stir in.
- Cover with shredded cheese.
- Put in oven about fifteen minutes, or until cheese melts.
You may wonder why there aren’t pictures of the dish after the cheese was browned up, or the near-obligatory “food loaded up on the fork” food-blogger-staple photo.
One, I’m not really that much of a food blogger.
But the most honest answer is this: After smelling the Zucchini Bacon Casserole cook, I was hungry! When it was ready to eat, picture-taking became completely irrelevant…at least until my belly was full.
Thanks, Mom. ♥