When I first started low carb and we’d go out to eat breakfast, it was hard to not feel sad over abandoning my beloved biscuits and gravy. But steak and eggs came the rescue! They were my savior, allowing me to feel indulgent and stay low carb at the same time. This is a simplified at-home version of steak and eggs, with a big shot of heat to keep things kicking. Did I mention I love spicy food?
I will tell you this: I never feel like what I put together is “good enough” to share, even if it tasted pretty awesome as last night’s dinner. I don’t know all the cooking rules or special techniques. I don’t have fancy pots and pans. Most of the time, I save actual recipes for special occasions. Everyday dinner prep means I search the kitchen for whatever I’ve got that looks like it would taste good together. And yes, that’s exactly how I came up with this low carb skillet dish. It’s made with what I had on hand.
But the thing that convinced me to keep putting my own recipes out there–imperfect as they may be–is realizing low carb has to work for everyday people and not just foodies and chefs. We can learn a lot from the awesomely talented people out there. I do! But not everybody can make the stuff that looks like it came straight out of a magazine day in and out. And I figured, maybe if I share the kind of everyday things I’m cooking up, it could encourage the less culinarily-gifted among us that they really can do this! And the folks that are more kitchen-gifted than me–a sizable group!–well, they might be able to get some inspiration anyway.
So it’s in that spirit that I share with you last night’s dinner (and in the notes, what I learned about cooking stew meat): Spicy Low Carb Skillet Steak and Eggs.
If you have a lonely singleton steak or some leftover beef–yeah, I know, who does that?!–this would be a great way to stretch it and use it up. You could easily also use up whatever veggies you had on hand as well. Because I’m nothing if not practical! Hate to see a veggie go to waste, man.
- 3/4 pound stew meat (tenderized)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 dash liquid Barbecue Smoke® (optional)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (cut in half)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon minced onion (dried)
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 5 eggs
- 1 medium zucchini (sliced)
- Tenderize the meat - hammer it, or marinate in oil and acidic jucie (i.e. vinegar, lemon, lime, etc.).
- Use the cayenne pepper and red pepper flakes like a rub on the stew meat.
- Get your pan hot, add some oil and toss in the stew meat. Sprinkle some liquid smoke of you're using it. Don't overcrowd the pan like I did!
- As the meat starts to brown, add in your minced onion flakes.
- Keep heat low. Cut your zuchhini and add to the pan. Mix it in to pickup some of the spice flavors.
- While that finishes cooking, fry your eggs in another pan, over easy.
Do you dig yourself some steak and eggs?