I can take no credit whatsoever for this idea. It came from my friend, Theresa. But the moment it hit my brain, I knew I MUST have some! I literally could not think straight until I went to buy some hot dogs–the bacon was in the freezer already. I went to the store within the hour. Usually the only thing that will get me to leave the house immediately is running out of coffee creamer. But I was that possessed.
Because BACON! Duh.
The Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs –aka Bacon Dogs–turned out wonderful! Dogs were a complete hit. My kid even announced she was never again eating hot dogs NOT wrapped in bacon. It’s super-duper easy and very filling. The carb eaters had them on a bun, but I enjoyed them dipped in a bit of sugar free BBQ sauce. It’s already been added to my regular dinner rotation.
What I learned from my Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs Experiments
- These can be made on the grill if you keep it covered to minimize flame flare-ups. I love the grill flavor. But if you are fussy about having parts of your bacon dogs charred, best go the oven route.
- Toothpicks to hold the bacon in place are definitely optional. They may have been marginally helpful for using the grill–my bacon ends flopped open a bit, but kind of didn’t care.
- Thin-sliced bacon is perfect if you want your bacon wrapped hot dogs crispy (which I highly recommend).
- One slice of bacon per hotdog worked great; one package of bacon covered about 2 packages of hotdogs.
- You’ll want to make extras Bacon Dogs! They are just as tasty warmed up.
- If you want to stuff with cheese, don’t even bother with mild flavors. I tried slicing the hot dogs and shoving some Harvati in there before wrapping (sorta like Swiss) and could not even taste it. Sharp cheddar could work, but really? It was good enough without it that I didn’t’ find the extra fuss warranted.
- 16 strips Bacon
- 2 Packages Hot dogs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Wrap each hotdog in a slice of bacon, diagonally.
- Place on roasting pan, so grease can drain.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until bacon reaches the desired crispness.
Have you made bacon wrapped hot dogs? How did yours come out?
Thanks to you this is the only way we eat hotdogs now.
Flip them! Otherwise be prepared for them to burnt
Great tip! Thanks for sharing it.
It’s too bad you are already married
Awsome!!!! put on a bun with carmalized onions and it was perfect. 2 onions and a can of regular coco cola and cook down to a brow-limp color. pk
Did you cover them while you baked them?
Nope! I wanted the bacon to be as crispy as possible because I’m a crunchy bacon gal!
Thanks, same! I haven’t had these since I was a kid, my parents grilled them. I’m gonna try the oven to break my son in! Thanks for the reminder of a childhood memory.
This is the BEST WAY to do hot dogs!!! We stumbled on the idea and now it is the favorite way to have hot dogs.
And cooking them in the oven is by far the easiest way. It’s also the easiest way to cook bacon, without the hot dogs.
I used thick bacon (bought it by mistake). It still came out great. Had to let it cook a bit longer, but the kids didn’t mind the wait.
Good to know that works too. Thanks for reporting in, Theresa!
Thank you ladies for the tips
did u broil them or baked them
I baked them at 375. Although I’m sure broil would work too. You’d just want to watch and make sure they didn’t get burned.
Just wanted to thank you for this post. I decided to make Seattle dogs for dinner and my daughter excitedly asked if we could wrap the hotdogs with bacon. Omh they were AMAZING. I only had thick bacon, but I just left them in the oven an extra 5 minutes or so and they were perfect. The bacon wasn’t super crispy, but the texture actually worked really well and was delicious with the jalapeno cream cheese and the sauteed onions, garlic, and peppers of a Seattle dog.
Sounds delightful! So glad to hear it worked out well for you.
I’m making this tonight I’m super excited.
Yay! Hope you love it.