This is a very flexible recipe, well suited to adding whatever low carb crunchies you have on hand. I originally copied some version of this recipe from a forum post, but that’s been so long ago and I’ve made so many changes, I’m not even sure the two are much related at this point.
Update! I found my copy of the original recipe, by my friend Maggie from my old Low Carb Eating forum. Her version had:
- 2 cups mixed nuts
- 1/4 cup sunflower seed kernals
- 12 low carb tortilla chips (or 2 pieces of low carb bread, toasted and rubbed with garlic)
The net carbs on her version is also lower, coming out to about 9 cups of mix, but trackers really need to figure it using the right numbers for the specific ingredients you use. Do be aware, this is a high-salt and high calorie snack mix. Eat a lot of it and you’ll retain some water for a minute. I like to have it for special occasions, like parties or company.
- 1 Stick Butter
- 1 Cup Sunflower Kernels
- 5 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 3 Oz. Peanuts
- 3 Oz. Cashew pieces
- 4 Oz Plain Pork Rinds
- 4 Oz Spicy Pork Rinds
- 1 Tbsp Onion Powder
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- Seasoned Salt to Taste
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a small skillet, start melting butter.
- Add Sunflower kernels and Worcestershire. Fry until the butter starts cooking down and the Sunflower kernels have absorbed a lot of the mix.
- Place nuts in large bowl.
- Pour butter/kernel mixture on the nuts and toss well.
- Spread coated mix on cookie sheet, and put in oven for about five minutes.
- While that's cooking, bust up pork rinds into smaller, bite-size pieces in your large bowl.
- Take out the nut mix and use it to coat the broken up pork rinds.
- Spread them both back on the cookie sheet, and return to the oven.
- Cook for about another 5 - 10 minutes, occasionally turning the ingredients as needed.
- Cool and store in a covered container.
What would you put in yours?
without the sunflower seeds or sub pumpkin seeds or almonds – do you know what the net carbs would be? thanks!!
Hey Staci. I’m sorry, but I just cannot field all the incoming requests I get to figure or refigure carb counts on recipes. Sorry! We often point people to FatSecret for this: http://fatsecret.com
LOL. I should have said sunflower “kernels”. By “seeds” I didn’t mean to include the shells. That would not work in a mix like this. Precision is important!
See, I don’t usually eat sunflower seeds, so it didn’t occur to me that you were already talking about the kernels. I know people get them with the hulls on.
Sometimes, I am just amazed at what escapes me and also, what I do for a living…har!