When mom served us her delicious soup, she also had some low carb cracker chips and I’m totally stealing the idea. Thanks, mom!
Note: If you’re gluten-free/don’t do wheat products, the “Carb Balance” brand tortillas will not work for you. While most of my recipes are gluten and grain-free, we don’t have to avoid it specifically so sometimes, we don’t. Also, be aware that prepared products like the tortillas can slow down losses for some people. Bodies are beautifully unique in how they respond to food sometimes. Just a heads up.
But if the ingredients work for you, this recipe will solve those crunchy cravings like nobody’s business!
NOTES & UPDATES: After making these a billion and two times, a few things I discovered–You don’t have to use butter to still get them crispy although the butter flavor is nice. You can lower the temperature to 325 if you want. Watch them closely and pull them out when the edges are just getting brown for the most flakey crunch. I have found some of the mission tortillas come in at 4 net carbs instead of six, although I avoid the wheat ones for these as they just don’t bake up the same way. I sometimes just bake them whole and then break them apart afterwards. I also have taken to putting more cheese on than is pictured here. Freshly shredded cheese that bubbles up on top of these is THE BEST THING EVER!!
- 4 low carb tortillas (cut or torn)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 oz Cobly Jack Cheese (grated)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Shred your cheese and set aside. (Preshredded contains extra starch to keep it from sticking to itself and honestly, it just doesn't taste as good to me. But if that's what you've got, that's okay, too. )
- Cover a baking sheet with foil, parchment or silicone liner for easy cleanup.
- Cut or tear your tortillas into whatever shape you prefer, and spread out on the baking sheet.
- Spread a little butter on each tortilla piece in the middle. Then sprinkle with your cheese.
- Bake about 15 minutes or until you get the desired level of crispness.
I’m not sure how they manage it, but these give off a satisfying crunch when you bite into them, followed by that melt-in-your-mouth sensation like crackers. Hence, the name “Crunchy Low Carb Cracker Chips.” If you give them a try, let me know how you like them!
How do you solve your crunchy cravings?
What a great idea for a keto crackers/chips replacement, which cost a fortune. Can’t wait to try this hack! Thank you, Zen Goddess!
Hope you enjoy it!