My normal cooking mode is all about what I remember from looking at recipes combined with what I’ve got on hand. That’s how this Spicy Low Carb Crack Slaw with bacon bits was born–because honestly, what is NOT better with bacon bits?!?
Low carb “crack slaw” is so named because of it’s addictive nature. I didn’t name it, so if it rubs you the wrong way, sorry but, you know. Call it “Egg Roll in a Bowl” instead. My version of low carb crack slaw adds some crushed red peppers to give it a kick, and would probably be tasty with a smidge of Sriracha Sauce if you dig that sort of thing. I didn’t have any, so I didn’t test it personally.
You could also probably make low carb crack slaw without any recipe, though. It’s seriously hard to mess up. I know because if anybody could manage to mess something up, it’s me!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 red onion (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon liquid Barbecue Smoke®
- 1 1/2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 bag coleslaw (shredded)
- 2 tablespoons crumbled bacon
- Put ground beef in a skillet to cook.
- Add minced garlic and sliced onion. As you can see, I took great care to slice the onion pieces uniformly...not!
- Mix in liquid smoke and worcestershire sauce. Allow meat to brown.
- Add in soy sauce, ginger, curry powder and crushed red pepper. Mix well.
- Once meat is browned and onions are tender, mix in the bag of coleslaw (or your own shredded cabbage). Do not drain that fabulous fat! We want to cook our slaw in it.
- Cook until cabbage is just starting to tender, then mix in bacon bits.
- Cook another 5 minutes or so after adding bacon bits. I like the cabbage to still have a little crunch in it.
The Real Beauty of Low Carb Crack Slaw
The thing I love about most about low carb crack slaw is that you have your veggies, protein and fats all together in one tidy dish, it takes just a wink and nudge to make and of course, I can dump everything together it in my handy-dandy electric skillet! I love that thing. My husband (who does dishes) complains because I dirty it on an almost-daily basis. But good lord, it’s convenient! (And he notably doesn’t complain about the food I make in it, so Nyaaa!)
Do you have a favorite version of low carb crack slaw?